Follow Me On Twitter

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day 1 - I think I finally figured out why I feel like Crap so often!

Well, after doing research on the web, I think I've finally figured out what the deal is, and why I feel so bad so often.  I'm almost 100% sure it's Candida yeast over-growth.
It all started at the beginning of the year after I suffered an attack of diverticulitis and went through the usual antibiotic regimen.
I never felt like I really got better.
I went back to the gastrointerologist, and he suspected yeast. The tests came back positive for intestinal yeast, and he gave me some medicine to take for a few days & told me to eat yogurt with live cultures daily.

Me being the all-or-nothing kind of gal I am, I was gung-ho for a couple of weeks and then started to slack off.
I thought I felt better, and I did for a while.
But I've been having flu-like symptoms every once in a while that seem to hit too frequently to be that. I wake up early in the morning with all-over body ache and feeling feverish.  We're talking ache, like I can't sit, stand, lay down, or anything until the Advil kicks in anywhere from 30 minutes to 2.5 hours later.  Very uncomfortable.

After doing some research, I believe my immune system is diminished and I have symptoms associated with a big Candida Albicans over-growth.

So, what to do?

The 1st step seems to be to cut out sugar, starchy foods (which your body turns into sugar), alcohol, coffee and teas with caffeine and even de-caf versions, and grains containing gluten.

Give up my coffee?  Oh, crap. That's gonna suck.

I could go crazy & do a 7 Day Liquid Detox/Cleanse thing and then the strict diet, but I don't know.  I've never been one to stick to a liquid diet.
The cleanse is supposed to flush your intestines of the candida so you can start fresh.
But the 7-14 day Food Detox sounds like a better plan for me and should accomplish the same thing.

So, today when I get the strength, I need to head to the grocery store and possibly the health food store for lots of veggies (preferably organic) and whatever Bentonite clay is...milk thistle, Vitamins B-5 and C (which are supposed to help flush the toxins that will be produced when the Candida start to die off.)
And I'm supposed to drink lots of water, which will be a new trick for me.

After the Detox, I'm supposed to stick to a list of acceptable foods, which consists of things like:  green veggies (non-starchy), plain yogurt, kefir, fresh meats (not processed or cured), eggs, sardines and sockeye salmon (in water or olive oil), almond or coconut milk (unsweetened), healthy grains:  amaranth, buckwheat, millet, oat bran, quinoa, wild and brown rice, and gluten-free crackers made from those,  cold pressed oils such as virgin coconut, olive, sesame, pumpkin seed, macadamia, almond, flax, safflower, sunflower, coconut oil, coconut butter, Ghee, and organic butter (no margarine/shortening).

I'm supposed to avoid "white" foods such as sugar, flour, rice, regular breads and pastas.  No condiments containing hidden sugars and white vinegar.  No wheat, rye, oats or barley, spelt, corn or corn by-products, no diet soda or coffee or black/green teas with caffeine - even de-caf has some caffeine.
No milk or cream, alcohol, chocolate or cocoa powder, no carob powder, agave nectar, fruit or fruit juices (except lemon or lime squeeze), no cheese or citric acid.  No energy or sports drinks (due to taurine and sugar), no coco water or rice milk. Avoid beans including soy, tofu, soy milk, and soy cheese. No mushrooms, and no vinegar, except apple cider.

I can have chicory root coffee and the following teas:  cinnamon, clove, chamomile, Pau D'arco, peppermint, ginger, licorice and lemongrass, and I can use Stevia or Xylitol for sweetening.

So this is Day 1.
I've got to do this.  I can't go on feeling this bloated, experiencing the body aches and real pain, acid reflux and recurring illnesses.  And I'm supposed to be able to lose weight eating this way, so BONUS!
Day 1 Begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment